Aug 31, 2008

When the Bad Guy Wins--or Does He?

Do you ever feel like doing the right thing gets you nowhere? Are you frustrated because it seems like the good guys always get the short end of the stick?

When we look at the world around us, it seems as the bad guys are winning. A good example might be the gangsters in prison; they get recording contracts and are rich before they even step out of the prison gates. Look at corporate America; we read about kickbacks and payoffs to secure contracts.

"It takes money to make money", they say. You have to be rich and famous to get rich and famous. It's obvious to the average guy that sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil to get where you want to be in life. Lie, cheat and steal. Yet, society in general applauds those who went for their dream and are successful--no matter the cost.

Thankfully, there are still members of society who will not stoop to such deeds. They remain hard working, honest, and do their part to help those less fortunate. They even consider success to be measured by how many lives they've touched, not by how many digits are in their bank account.

Still, at times, this can be discouraging to those who try to live a life of goodwill and seek to follow the ways of God.

So what to do we when discouragement and temptation to forget about "living right" and join the ranks of the other members of society come our way? After all they are the ones who seem to get ahead.

King David was a man God, he did his best to live right and serve his fellow man. He did not rise to the top by lying, cheating, or stealing. So why was the world-his little world, against him? I have found comfort in King David's reaction toward the wicked, maybe you will too.

Read the thoughts and prayer of King David as He shares his heart with God.

"No doubt about it! God is good-good to good people, good to the good-hearted. But I nearly missed it, missed seeing his goodness. I was looking the other way, looking up to the people at the top, envying the wicked who have made it, Who have nothing to worry about, not a care in the world. Pretentious and arrogant, they wear the latest fashions in violence. Pampered and overfed, decked out in silk bows of silliness. They jeer, using words to kill, they bully their way with words. They're full of hot air, loudmouths disturbing the peace. People actually listen to them-can you believe it? Like thirty puppies, they lap up their words. What is going on here? Is God out to lunch?" (Psalm 73:1-11 – The Message.)

These first few verses are comforting-they tell us there is a time when it is okay to share our real feelings with God. He wants us to, in fact.

This part is never a problem for me, I confess. This however is not where we should end. There is more for us to glean from King David-let's read a little bit more of his conversation with God.

"Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain. … So I tried to understand why the wicked proper. But what a difficult task it is" (Ps. 73:13-14,16 – The New Living Translation)

(You just have to love David's honesty here, I certainly relate.)

Now that we have laid our complaint out to God, what do we do? How do we reconcile our feelings with the desire we have to end the jealousy in our hearts?

Let's read on.

"Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and finally understood the destiny of the wicked. Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant, they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors. When you arise, O Lord, you will laugh at their silly ideas as a person laughs at dreams in the morning. Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant-I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. (Ps. 73:17-24 NLT)

I appreciate the heart of David. This is where I want to be. What a blessing to come full circle and realize the wicked will not prosper forever. Their deeds are recorded; they will answer to God for them--and so will ours.

The final step is to repent of our anger toward God and toward the wicked. As David was honest before the Lord, God revealed a bigger picture and he was able to see his own sin of bitterness. He came away from his time with God with a new understanding and strength to continue. I love his conclusion:

"My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever…and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things You do." (Ps. 73:26-, 28b – NLT.)

Therefore, don't let the bad guys get the best of you. Seek the Lord, take comfort in His truth. There is a reason to keep our hearts pure. We are not perfect; King David was not perfect, but we press on nonetheless, repenting when the need arises.

What a motto to live by.


© Teresa Ortiz

No comments: