Aug 10, 2008

What is in a Name?

I have been reading a book by Ann Spangler. It is entitled "Praying the Names of GOD" I have to tell you, it has brought such warmth and an attitude of gratitude in my heart for the Lord. Over the years, I have studied God's names in sporadic form. Usually when Scripture points out the very meaning of His name, but I have never studied them all together at once and in such depth. If it has been awhile for you, or you have never done this, I encourage you to do so.

I never thought I could fall more in love with my Lord, but I was wrong. Understanding His names (or titles) in a real way, has opened my eyes to His character in a bigger way. God just keeps getting bigger!!! And the love just keeps getting stronger!!!!

One of His names (or titles) is Adonay. It means LORD MASTER - it implies relationship. God, the Creator is Lord and we are His servants. Now this probably sounds basic, most Christians know this, but the challenge comes in practicing this truth.

The examples that Ann gives in her book, brought this challenge to me:

When I call Jesus my Lord, what I am saying is that I am His servant. But do I live as a servant? Am I always ready to do His will at all costs? Do I trust Him in the things that He is asking me to do? Unfortunately, not all of the time.

Understanding this truth has caused me to consider such Scriptures as:
"These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me, and in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" Matthew 15:8-9

"But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord', and not do the things which I say? Luke 6:46

Ouch! Over the years, the Lord has asked me to do many things; things I have put them off -making excuses or waiting for a more "convenient" time to do them. Who then, is my Lord? Perhaps, it is myself? God forgive me!

My prayer is that I would do what my Lord Jesus tells me to do with zeal and excitement. After all, He knows best and my desire is to be more like Him. Yet how can this be, if I continually put my will above His.

What is God calling you to do? Give up some TV time and spend more with Him, turn away from those TV shows that do not glorify God or share His love with someone who you do not normally hang out with?

Whatever it is, if we do not lay our lives down before Him, we have no right to call Him Lord.

God has many names:

Elohim, El Roi, El Shaddai, Yahweh Nissi, and many, many more. As we take a closer look, our hearts will be sure to change.

Thank you Father, that You are Creator, the God who see me, the God who provides for me, The God who redeems me. You gave me Jesus, He is my Lord and I am His servant. Help me to live what I believe! In the name of Jesus, Amen.

If you have never surrendered your life to Christ, I pray you do so now. All of the promises of God are for His children and the children of God are those who believe in and receive Jesus Christ as Savior. (John 1:12-13)

What is in a Name? EVERYTHING!

(C) Teresa Ortiz

No comments: