Aug 10, 2008

Is God Your First Choice or Last Resort?

Hebrews 4: 15 -16 "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need"

Has it been one of those days? You know the kind, when everything that could possibly go wrong has? For me it was the washer and dryer going out the night before my daughter and I were off to California to visit friends and family.

It was also the week before Christmas and I needed to make sure everything was in order before I left my husband to man the house with our son. It is times like these that make me say "Calgon, take me away!"


However, as calm as Calgon might make me on the outside, It will do nothing to calm the inside. After running around frantically trying to ring out the clothes in the washer, trying to pack and wondering how in the world I was going to pay for a new washer and dryer after spending money on airline tickets and Christmas gifts and …. It hits me:

"Maybe I should pray about this." What a novel idea! I can hear Him now, "Teresa, my child. I have a solution if you would just take a minute to chat with Me".

After taking a minute to breathe and remember that "I" don't have it all figured out, I began to pray. I relaxed. I breathed, I even whined a little (well okay, a lot). I simply said, what should I do?

The next morning I went to work - The Lord impressed upon me to go "check out" some washers and dyers on my lunch break. I did. When I arrived back at work, I was surprised to find an envelope on my desk.

It was a Christmas bonus! I went back to the store and purchased the washer and dryer. It was delivered and installed just in time for my daughter and I to leave for the airport.

By the way, did I mention my daughter had a basketball game that night as well?

Take time to seek the Lord BEFORE that "day" comes.

Father, forgive me for not going to you first. Change my heart and draw me closer to You so that You are my first choice for comfort instead of the last resort. Thank you for your patience with me. Make me more like you today. Organize my time and give me discernment to recognize Your voice. In Jesus name, Amen


(C) Teresa Ortiz

No comments: