Aug 10, 2008

Diving Into Baptism: Introduction Part 1

What comes to mind when you hear the word baptism? The first thought most people have is water. However, the Bible speaks of other baptisms--in fact, there are seven specifically mentioned.

Many people never give this much thought. There was a time when I didn't. However, over the years, God has opened my eyes to these treasures of truth. Since then, I continue to study them. I am of the opinion that each of these baptisms play a significant role in increasing our understanding of God's plan for humanity and they serve as explanations for the whys are wherefores of life. For this reason, I am sharing what I have gleaned thus far in hopes that it will clarify some of the misnomers on baptism.

The Seven Baptisms of the Bible:

1. The Baptism of Israel.

2. The Baptism of John (Water for the Jew).

3. The Baptism by water (For the Gentile).

4. The Baptism Into Jesus Christ.

5. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

6. The Baptism of Suffering.

7. The Baptism of Fire.

It is important to note that the word baptism means, "to be completely submerged in". In this respect, you can baptize just about anything in just about anything.

The Old Testament is full of examples of articles being "baptized". There were strict ceremonial cleansing laws; not only for themselves, but also for their clothing and cooking utensils. The Jews were very aware of the importance of preparation by cleansing. This becomes important when we get to the baptism of John, or what I like to call the baptism of the Jews. This helps me to keep things straight as I study the difference between the baptism of the Jew and the baptism of the Gentile.

As we study, we will see that there are times when baptism is literal and when it is metaphorical or "spiritual", or both--meaning, the literal act of baptism has a spiritual application.

Baptism is also a well-known concept outside of the Christian world; Egyptians, potters, fabricators and the like use this term. I say this to remind us that there is more to baptism than we tend to think.

I have three goals that I pray will be reached by the end of this series:

1. We will see that biblical baptism will always represent the truth as it relates to salvation, which is that we become a child of God by surrendering our will to his and placing ourselves completely in Christ, thus being born-again.

2. That we will slow down and read the Bible as if reading for the first time (or maybe start reading), so that we will not miss out on the little phrases, realizing that each story has a purpose.

3. That the body of Christ will not put so much emphasis on water baptism and apply the lessons found in all of the other baptisms to our lives so that we will be able to "give an answer for the hope that lies within" and encourage others in the faith.

I hope you will join me on this journey through baptism. I ask for forgiveness up front, as I know I will fall short in explaining all that this perspective has to offer. I will post each study in the order listed above. I look forward to your participation--as the word of God says, "Iron sharpens Iron".

Soon to follow, The Baptism of Israel: What can we learn - Part 2 of 8.
I'm praying for you, please pray for me.


© Teresa Ortiz

No comments: