Aug 9, 2008

The Lakers Game Four and the Escape

So…..game four just ended. What game? Yup, that's the one-the Lakers didn't go so well tonight. Some of you might be feeling a bit sorry for me right about now. And yes, I quietly snuck out of the living room and found a safe place in the back room, in front of my computer.

Umm, what should I write? What story do I tell? Oh! I know, our dear friend, Laura Trahan, suggested that I write about my Speed Skating days sometime. No time like the present, I always say.

My sister and I got the fever for Roller Skating back in 19...something or another. The rink fast became our second home. (I can still hear the music playing in my head….Disco, disco duck, and then there was Donna Summers', Toot –toot, hey, beep-beep.)

Any-who, what was I saying? Oh. We lived and breathed skating. Now, I'm not one to brag, but I was pretty darn good. In fact, so good that when I showed the guards that I was ready for the next level, they changed the rules. Actually, after seeing me, they decided no one could ever do it better and didn't want the other skaters to be envious so they cancelled the event until further notice. To this day, I marvel at such a gesture.

Bad girls, talkin' ‘bout the bad girls…

I was so shocked when I learned that that song was about….ladies of the night! O' my, no wonder my father didn't like me singing that song when I was a kid, but that's another story.

Bear with me; I'm stalling… the temperature in the living room is beginning to drop, but I need a little bit longer in this back room.

Tic-tock, tick-tock, tic-tock.

Alright-y then. Back to the story.

The rink was especially packed that night; Friday nights were always the busiest so it made perfect sense to show the on-lookers and the guards (Especially Joe), how great I was.

"Hey Joe, watch me, I'm so ready"

"Terees, now's not the best time, the floor is packed."

"No, really, I'm ready"

"Fine, show me what-cha got"

With all the excitement and speed I was able muster, I weaved in and out of the slow people. As I came back around toward Joe, the total-babe floor-guard, I jumped up in the air and spinned around so that I landed in the backward position and gracefully continued weaving in and out of the slow people…At least that's how I imagined it would go.


Well, as my great fortune would have it, that's not what happened. The truth is, as I was coming out of my spin, my toe-stop leaped off my skate and those slow people got in my….okay fine, I tripped, is that what you wanted to hear?

As I came down for my landing, I didn't position my feet properly, and I fell backward. I fell so hard that I hit my head, and I laid on the floor while all those slow people got a good look at me. I twisted my wrist and I couldn't get up.

Hey, what happened to the music?

Suddenly a voice from heaven (or maybe it was the DJ), asked everyone to clear the floor and several of the floor guards came over to help me up. Joe, the total-babe floor-guard, picked me up and carried me off the floor. I don't know why, but my sister was so mad at me! Now that I think about it, everyone was. That was the last time anyone was able to skate backwards for--I don't remember how long!

I still think my sister was just jealous because I was carried off the floor by Joe, the total-babe floor-guard.

The good news is, eventually backward skating was back on, I learned how to position my feet correctly, and speed was our middle name..

The jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me...you renagade, you had it made...

As I think about all my ventures in choir, drama, dance and cheerleading--each with their own set of mishaps, I can't help but wonder if this little ball of talent will one day be rich and famous and it is God's way of keeping me humble.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. I will take such pride in the fact that I will always remain a humble and grateful person. I'll even check in with my old friends on occasion.

Just so you know, I've even grown patient of slow people. I mean really, give me a break; I was only 10-years-old then.

Well guys, the house is peaceful and it is safe to re-enter the living room. Britt doesn't stay mad at her boys for long.

Thanks for passing the time with me.

Humbly yours,

Teresa

No comments: