Aug 9, 2008

The Lakers, Jack Nicholson and My Daughter: Is This Normal?

It's 7:30pm and for the next two and a half hours nothing else matters. Nobody speaks a word. After all, it's their time.


There she is standing in front of the screen. She says a prayer, wave's hello, and blows kisses and words of encouragement to her boys. She has her pillow close and her dog is forced to leave the room and chooses not to return until it is safe to do so.

My daughter is obsessed with the Lakers. She has been since she was in the forth grade when she started playing the game. She knows everything there is to know about them-from their individual families to their failures and successes. I suppose this is normal for a fan of any sort - right down to her Kobe Bryant Christmas tree ornament that she once had. You see, her dog ate it the first chance she had. Accident? I think not.

I have never seen someone get so much exercise while watching a basketball game! I get tired watching her. In fact, I think I get more entertainment watching her than I do the game…


She starts out calm, sitting on the couch, squeezing her pillow while her beloved dog-Roxie, sits next to her. Then it changes, She let's out the first scream, jumps off of the couch and throws Roxie across the room. I think to myself, here we go again…



"I love you honey," she says as she blows another kiss to the boys. By the way, don't tell her that they can't actually see or hear her - not if you want to live to see another day.


"Hi Jack, it's good to see you again!"


By the 2nd quarter, she has gone from the couch to the floor, to standing right in front of the T.V. to screaming into her pillow, to praying again. I wish I could say I am exaggerating, but I would be lying.


"Really Jack? Is that the best you can do? Trade me seats, I'll show you how to be a fan!"


There are many other things she says and does, but I wouldn't want to tarnish the sweet little couldn't hurt a fly - image of my baby girl.


It's now the 3rd quarter and she has been texting and calling everyone she knows to talk about this play and that play. She is talking so loud - screaming really, that you can't hear the announcers. However, it's okay, as long as she is doing the talking, the rest of us are free from the wrath of Brittany.


The 4th quarter begins and she cannot sit at all. She stands the entire time, waving her arms and taking the shots with them! If it is a close game, she will do jumping jacks and run in circles without stopping. By now, her throat is horse and it's difficult not to feel sorry for her. I mean wow; she has been through a lot! But there is the part of you that begins to pray that they win because if they lose, anyone in the same room with her is in danger. On the other hand, if they win, you could probably get away with asking her to do the laundry, wash the car and go grocery shopping and she would graciously oblige.


One of these days I have got to record her. I think if the team saw this girl in action, she would have a front row seat and to her, it would be Heaven on Earth.


So why am I sharing this with you? I am desperate and I know not where to turn.


My husband is beginning to show signs of this disease and I need to know; is this contagious?



More importantly, is this normal?



© Teresa Ortiz

No comments: