Aug 9, 2008

The Lord is There: Encouragement for the Soul (4)

Yahweh Shammah: A Hebrew title or name for God. It speaks of His Omni-Presence. He is everywhere, all the time. It speaks of a personal God, not some cosmic spirit in the sky. More importantly, He is not a spirit that dwells in rocks and trees, but in the presence of His people.

In the Old Testament we see God dwelling in a cloud by day and Pillar of fire by night. God was with the Israelites during their journey through the wilderness. In the New Testament we see God dwelling in the hearts of those who put their faith and trust in Him by the Holy Spirit.

How does this knowledge affect us as individuals? Do we believe it? Is it possible to believe this is true for everyone else except me? I know many people who have a hard time believing God's promises are for them.

If this is you today, I pray that you will read the following passages and personalize them. Replace the word "you" with your name. Believe God and your soul will be encouraged.

The Lord is There

"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you, I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end - because I am God, your personal God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, rich with Cush and Seba thrown in! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you. (Isaiah 43:2-6 The Message.)

"In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the Angel of His Presence saved them: and He bore them and carried them all the days of old." (Isaiah 63:9 NKJV.)

"Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me." ( Psalm 139:7-10 NKJV.)

"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. The LORD preserves all who love Him, but the wicked He will destroy. (Psalm145:18-20 NKJV.)

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So that we may boldly say, 'The LORD [Yahweh] is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'". (Hebrews 13:5-6 NKJV.)

Believe these promises from Yahweh Shammah - He is the Lord that is there with you. He Loves you more than anything.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your faithfulness.

Thank you that we can count on you to be

with us every step of life's way. You are a personal God,

Thank you for revealing your name to us.

Help us to remember that faith is not based

on a feeling, but on truth. Keep these

Scriptures close to our memory,

that we may believe them even when we do not feel them.

In the name of Jesus, Amen!


(C) Teresa Ortiz

No comments: