Dec 29, 2008

Last Year's New Years Resolution: How did we do--and a Prayer for 2009

Today is December 27, 2008. All is quiet and peaceful-the calm after the storm of Christmas--giving me opportunity to reflect on these past 12 months.

I was drawn to the personal note on the January 2008 Issue of, "Be Ready", the monthly newsletter of In Season Ministries. The following is what I wrote:

"Dear friends and family in Christ,

Today is January 4, 2008. As I sit here and write, I wonder about the many New Years resolutions that have been made, and especially how many more have been or will be broken. As for me, I made one on December 31 st -kept it on January 1st-2nd, then broke it on January 3 rd . Sigh. I just cannot seem to get myself up any earlier than 5:00am to work out. So here you have it; excuse number one: I just cannot get up. More accurately, I chose not to get up."

"As I thought about the reality of breaking my resolution, I realize everything we do involves choice--so I made a new resolution: a choice. One I feel I should have no problem wanting to keep. I choose to be more like Christ at the end of this year than I am today. This starts by reading more of God's word and less of Ted Dekker. It also means not looking back at the past year and relishing my accomplishments and blessings--and thankfully, it means not looking back on last year's heartache. I am not talking about looking back with a sense of joy, or sigh of relief, but I am talking about turning our heads so far backward that we cannot see the blessings and opportunities that are set before us."

"Two Scriptures come to my mind as I consider this new commitment: No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.' (Luke 9:62) and, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.' (Philippians 3:13)"

"Whatever your New Years Resolution, I pray it will include a commitment to draw closer to the Lord this year, and that it will be one you keep. May the Lord be with each one of us-may we pursue Him with everything that is within us! Love in Jesus, Teresa."

The question then, is how did I do? Am I more like Jesus now than I was at the beginning of the year?

After an honest assessment of my over all behavior and attitude, I can answer with a yes. I have been given many opportunities to exercise unconditional love and forgiveness and plenty of times when I had to give up my "right" to be right, for the sake of another's well-being and peace of mind. Please don't misunderstand, this was never an easy task. There were many tears and challenges along the way. Nevertheless, the outcome always involved peace and the ability to move forward without bitterness in my heart. I suspect this year will bring new opportunities to be more like Christ. There are already a few in the works. This time, it involves being more concerned with what God thinks than what others think and doing what is right over what is popular. You see, being more like Jesus doesn't require me to be perfect, just willing.

As for the working-out and having that rock solid-wonder woman figure, well, not so much. That is just fine with me, the beauty within will just have to keep getting better to hide the imperfections of this tattered body.

How about you--how did you do?

Here we are at the end of 2008, filled with its share of joy and pain. What will we choose for 2009. Will we pursue the better job or the bigger house--what about the better body? These are not bad in themselves, but at what cost?

On the other hand, why not pursue love, grace, kindness and putting others before ourselves. These attributes belong to all of humanity-religion aside. These are things all of us can all chose in the New Year. Then maybe, just maybe, all those other things we seek might fall into place, and if not, it won't kill us.

If your heart desires, please pray with me:

Heavenly Father,

May this be a year of strong fellowship for all-restore relationships, bring new friendships our way. Help us to move forward in excitement for the new things you have planned. Give us the grace to let go of the past and put it behind us. May we have true forgiveness in our hearts so that we do not continue to carry the past on our shoulders. Help us to look to this New Year with a clean slate. Turn our hearts toward the things that matter to you and the One who can give us the courage to do so. Finally Father, help us to set aside our accomplishments in this past year, so we have room for the new you have in store.

In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

Teresa Ortiz

No comments: