Mar 22, 2008

A Portrait of the Cross

The words written so long ago by the Psalmist ring loud and clear this morning as we are given a glimpse of the future--which is now history. Words spoken by the Psalmist by the power of the Holy Spirit; how would he know to utter these words? Did he even understand what they meant? Did he know he was quoting the very words of Jesus and the crowds that would mock Him?

I invite you to take a little journey with me through Psalm 22 as we see a portrait of the cross.

The prophetic words, "My God my God, why have You forsaken Me?" Psalm 22:1, would be spoken by Jesus while he was on the cross in Mark 15:34.

"All those who see Me laugh Me to scorn; they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 'He trusted in the LORD, let Him rescue Him; let Him deliver Him since he delights in Him?" Psalm 22:7-8, spoken--no shouted with distain in Matthew 27:43-44.

"...They pierced My hands and My feet; I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. They divide My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots." Psalm 22:16-18, would be fulfilled in John 19:37.

It blows my mind to think that before time began God had a plan to redeem His creation. And Jesus, who would be obedient to leave heaven's throne to come and pay the price for you and I knowing some would reject Him with such hatred; wow. I have no words. But Crystal Lewis and Brian Ray say it well:

Remember

He's the man who'd bleed for me
not making a sound or cry
He suffered as a guilty man
His innocence was the crime
while others said come down and save yourself
He was saving my life

Remember, I will remember
what He did for me
Remember, I will remember
how He died for me

Early Sunday morning came
the stone had been rolled away
they stepped inside the empty grave
alone in dismay
they were thinking he was gone
they were not believing
death of the lamb did bring
forgiveness and healing
why do you seek Him here among the dead?
He is risen!

Remember, I will remember
what He did for me
remember, I will remember
how He died for me

I know it's You who lives inside of me
I know it's true the peace of mind you bring to me
Your sacrifice had now set me free... I will always...

Remember, I will remember
what He did for me
remember, I will remember
how he died for me

(C) Crystal Lewis, Brian Ray


What else can I say? Lord bless you and keep you and may He make His face to shine upon you and give you peace.

Love in Jesus. From my heart to yours, Happy Resurrection weekend!

(C) Teresa Ortiz

No comments: