Mar 5, 2008

Friends are God's Bouquet of Roses to His Children

When I was a kid, I heard phrases like, “Every rose has its thorn” or “Life is a bowl of cherries but to bad it has the pits”

These people are weird, I would think.

“With age comes wisdom” was another one that used to get on my nerves. However, I must confess, I, like most others learned that these and many other sayings were birthed out of life experiences.

Some people say I think too much (I am not sure, but it must have something to do with the pile of mush that sits underneath my skull—I like to consider it a brain.)

What was I saying again? O yeah, now I remember.

There has been a passage of Scripture floating around in my mind for the last several weeks. Yesterday, a special gift was given to my daughter; one so precious, it brought this passage to life.

“…to care for those who mourn in Zion, to give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes, messages of joy instead of a languid spirit” (Isaiah 61: 2-3 The Message)

My daughter’s favorite flower is the white rose. For her, it represents all that is pure and beautiful as it pertains to love. As a soon to be 20-year-old young woman, she is experiencing some pretty thick and nasty thorns. What is a mom to do? She prays hard, hugs much, and cries for her child. Yet, she knows her daughter is strong and full of faith and will rise a refined and an amazing woman.

What was I saying again? O yeah, now I remember.

There is an art show in town (a dangerous thing for my daughter) needless to say she bought this beautiful black and white painting of Venice. While we were there, she spotted an exceptional painting of a single white rose in full bloom, complete with three-rain drops. I saw the look on her face, “Okay Britt, but what about Hawaii?” “Yeah, you’re right.

If I had the money, I would have bought it on the spot. For now, it just had to be one of those things she enjoyed for a moment.

While I was still at her apartment, her roommate showed up with this painting! I could not believe it!

“Happy Birthday, friend!” Janae yells, as she is walking into the bedroom. (Just in case you are wondering, Britt’s birthday is not until August!)

This brings me back to Isaiah 61:2-3. God is faithful to give us what we need when we need it. For Britt, it was not the gift of the painting (well, maybe a little), but it was the gift of a friend who loved her and recognized a need of something extra special.

It may be true that every rose has its thorn, but thanks be to God that amidst the thorns, He gives us a continuous bouquet of roses.

If my thinking is correct, the thorn is the human side of us that shrieks its ugly head, but the rose is the human side of us that has the ability to offer selfless and sometimes sacrificial acts of love and God’s blessing to us is a friend who can pick up the slack of another who has brought pain.

However, this is just what I think.

© Teresa Ortiz

No comments: