Jan 29, 2008

Free from the Past: Encouragement for the Soul (3)

Even though I know I have been forgiven and freed from my past, there are those times when the devil comes to whisper (more like shout) in my ear with a voice of condemnation that says, "Do you really think God would forgive you for all those things that you have done?"

During these times, I have a choice to make. I can give into his lies and begin to doubt God's love for me, or I can take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, stand firm and fight! I choose to fight.

If you find yourself in this place today, I pray with all of my heart that you will take a moment and do the same.

Free from the past:

"Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be-you get a fresh start, you're slates wiped clean. Count yourself lucky-God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him. When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up. Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of things to GOD." Suddenly the pressure was gone-my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared. Psalm 32:1-5 (The message)

"For if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 ( NKJV)

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away. Behold, all things become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)

"There is therefore, now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2 (NKJV)

"...For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." Jeremiah 31:34 (NKJV)

"But let all those rejoice who trust in You; let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them. Let those also who love Your name be joyful in You. For You, oh Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him with a shield." Psalm 5:11-12 (NKJV)

Heavenly Father,

You have promised us freedom from

guilt and shame.

From the moment we come to you

and confess, you choose to

forget our sin. We can't thank you enough.

Father, help us to recognize the voice

of the enemy so that we are not

brought to a place of doubt.

Teach us to fight as we put Your word

into our hearts so that we would believe

that we are free from our past.

In the name of Jesus, Amen



(C) 2008 Teresa Ortiz

No comments: